1. The New York Times, Editorial, Dec. 8, 1999.
2. Engineering Accreditation Commission, Criteria for Accrediting Engineering Programs, Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology Inc., Baltimore, 2000. Also at http://www.abet.org.
3. Rajan Hoole, Sri Lanka: The Arrogance ofPower, University Teachers for Human Rights (Jaffna),
4. M. R. R. Hoole, D. Somasundaram, S. Sritharan and R. Tiranagama, The Broken Palmyra, Sri
Lanka Studies Institute, Claremont, 1989.
5. K. M. de Lanerolle and D. Calnaido, Report to the Council on Incidents at the University of
Peradeniya, 1983 (unpublished).
6. The Weekend Express, 9 Sept. 2000. Quotes letter of December 1999 to the Hon. Ranil
Wickremasinghe, Leader of the Opposition, by Professors S. A. Kulasooriya, G. H. Peiris, D.
T. B. Tennekoon, J. S. H. Q. Perera and K. M. de Silva of the University of Peradeniya.
7. http://www.unglobalcompact.org 26 March, 2001.
8. Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Business and Human Rights: A Progress
Report, Jan. 2000. Also at http://www.unhcr.ch/business.htm 26 March 2001.
9. Steven Greenhouse, Nike shoe plant in Vietnam is called unsafe for workers, New York Times, p. 1,
Nov. 8, 1997.
10. http://www.bp.com/corp_reporting/social_perf/index.asp 27 March 2001.
11. http://www.cleanclothes.org/companies/nike.htm 27 March 2001.
12. Reebok Intl. Ltd., Human Rights Production Standards, Reebok, Stoughton, 1992.
13. Levi Strauss and Co., Code of Conduct, http://levistrauss.com/about/code.html 9 June, 2001.
14. Peduli Hak, Caring for Rights: An intensive research evaluation and remediation initiative in two
Indonesian factories manufacturing Reebok footwear, Insan Hitawasana Sejahtera Social Science
Research and Consultancy, Jakarta, Oct. 1999.
15. Amnestry International, Human Rights Principles for Companies, AI Index ACT 70/01/98, Jan.
16. http://www.saigon.com/~nike/ 26 March 2001. Also at http://www.amnesty.it/ailib/aipub/1998/
17. Ministry of Higher Education and Information Technology Development, Sri Lanka 2001,
18. Hans-Peter Gasser, International Humanitarian Law: An Introduction, Henry Dunant Institute,
19. The Intl. Committee of the Red Cross, International Humanitatrian Law: The ICRC Answers your
Questions, ICRC Public Information Division, Geneva. n.d.
20. United Nations, Report of the Preparatory Commission for the International Criminal Court, New
York, 6 July 2000. Also at http://www.iccnow.org/html/u.n..html.
21. World Bank, International Bank ofReconstruction and Development (Charter), as amended effective
Feb. 16, 1989; section 10, Washington, DC.
22. World Bank, The Inspection Panel, Washington DC. n.d.
23. Joseph Khan, World Bank scraps loan to China, Intl. Herald Tribune, pp. 3,8±9 July 2000.
24. Roy Arundhati, The greater common good, Frontline, Cover Essay, Vol. 16, Issue 11, May 22±June
25. UN Centre for Human Rights, Discrimination against Women: The Convention and the Committee,
Human Rights Fact Sheet 22, Geneva, 1996.
26. D. Hoole and S. R. H. Hoole, Women Engineers in Sri Lanka, Society ofWomen Engineers, 47 (6),
pp. 51±57, Oct./Nov. 2001.
27. Robert McCorquodale with Richard Fairbrother, Globalisation and Human Rights, Human Rights
Quarterly, 21, pp. 735±766, 1999.
28. http://ilolex.ilo.ch:1567/english/convdisp2.htm 12 March 2001.
29. Thomas Burgenthal, International Human Rights in a Nutshell, 2nd Ed., West Publishing Co., St.
Paul MN, 1995.
30. UN Centre for Human Rights, The International Bill ofHuman Rights, Human Rights Fact Sheet 2,
31. Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights on the establishment of an African
Court on Human and Peoples' Rights, The Review, 60, special issue 1998, The International
Commission of Jurists, pp. 243±250. Also http://www.dfa.gov.za/for-relations/multilateral/treaties/
court.htm June 2001.
32. Bert B. Lockwood, Jr., Advisory opinions of The Inter-American Court of Human Rights, 13
Denv. J. Int'l Law and Policy, 245.
33. D. Harris and S. Livingstone (eds.), The Inter-American System ofHuman Rights, Clarendon Press,
35. European Court News Release 451, 17 Sept. 1995, Strasbourg.
36. R. A. L. H. Gunawardana, Historiography in a Time ofEthnic Conflict: Construction ofthe Past in
Contemporary Sri Lanka, Social Scientists' Association, Colombo, 1995.
37. S. Ratnajeevan, H. Hoole, C. W. Thamotharampillai, Tamil Revivalist: The Man Behind the Legend
of Tamil Nationalism, International Centre for Ethnic Studies, Colombo, 1997
38. UN Centre for Human Rights, Civil and Political Rights: The Human Rights Committee, Human
Rights Fact Sheet 15, Geneva, 1991.